16 August 2016

Using chalk with modeling paste (quick tutorial)

Hello,
I wanted to play with some challenges run by two scrapfriends, Cherrypicker and Heather.
Cherrypicker asked us to cut our photos in circles, and Heather asked us to use only 6 by 6 papers. Fun!
I love to play challenges with scrapfriends...

I am still working through Shimelle's "20 projects", so I added another challenge: using something often forgotten. I chose to use my old chalks... If you're new to scrapbooking, you probably don't even know what I am talking about!


I didn't use papers from my august Counterfeit kit, but everything else comes from it: butterfly stencils, homemade embellishments, ribbon, gems and stamps (flourishes and alphabet).

I made my background with the 12x12 butterfly stencil and modeling paste. But the modeling paste was cream-color and I didn't like it on the white background.
Here is how it looked for the card (see below) I made with my layout's leftovers:


So I rubbed off some chalks (blue and silver) to add some color. Then I added some flourishes stamps (I stamped first on a paper scrap and I stamped again on my background without reinking).


I made the blue labels with several stamps and embossing powders (gold and white).It was fun to create the little bunch of flowers! I love to make my own embellishments.
Another favorite of mine is sewing folded ribbon, especially white organza ones!

I used a sketch from Scrapbook Generation.

So I decided to make a card for my brother's graduation with the leftovers on my desk (it was in June... Yes, I'm that late!). Here are some pictures about how I did my background:


Step 1. Spread out some modeling paste over a stencil. White acrylic paint or gesso could work too. (I didn't find my old credit card, so I used a scrap of cardstock). Allow to dry.
Step 2. Color the raised areas (with a Q-tip for small patterns, or with cotton balls for bigger ones).
Step 3. Smooth everything with a cotton ball.
Step 4. Add shadows with some metallic chalk and gently rub on with your finger to smooth it. 

Here is the finished card:


Now, I will definitely use my chalks more!

6 comments:

  1. How lovely! I think I have some chalks in my stash but I don't recall ever using them. You have created such a beautiful, dreamy quality on these projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these are just gorgeous. I might have to pull my chalks out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful!!! This is one of the reasons I have kept my chalks rather than throw them out like many of my friends!!! Love modeling paste and all the fun things you can do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came to your site looking for the mini album tutorial and starting going through your projects. You are so talented. This layout is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete