15 January 2014

How do you organize your photos in your scrapbooking process ?

On a popular scrapbooking forum, there was a question about photo organization in our scrapbooking process. I had a lot to say about it, so, I thought I could also share it on my blog.

I only scrap since my first son's birth in 2008 and before that, I took very few photos. Every 3 monthes, I try to order photo prints (well, this time, I waited 9 monthes !).

I don't order only the photos I like without thinking about what I will do with it. No, I have a plan : I keep on my computer a list for each of my three kids + a list for random photos (usually about my own history).

This list is by album, for example, here is the list for the first album of my third son :

Album 1
# 1 - Seven days old (.08.12) *my favorite photo*
# 2 - August 2012 (.08.12) *favorite photos of the month with the baby's evolution*
#    - First meeting (.08.12) *when the family came to meet the baby*
# 3 - A little too early (.08.12) *about his premature arrival*
#    - Sweet moments (.09.12)
  4 - Three brothers (.08.12)
#    - Daddy and mummy (.08.12)
# 5 - September 2012 (.09.12)
#    - In the bath (.10.12)
# 6 - October 2012 (.10.12)
#    - November 2012 (.11.12)
# 7 - Santa's little helpers family (.12.12) *Christmas*
#    - December 2012 (.12.12)
# 8 - After the bath (.12.12)
#    - January 2013 (.01.13/09.01.13)
# 9 - February 2013 (.02.13/09.02.13)
#    - Mister Little (.04.13) *this was the baby's nickname by his big brothers*
#10 - March 2013 (.03.13)
#     - A beloved baby (.04.13) *about his sleeping habits*
#11 - Spring 2013 (.04.13)
#12 - Friends (.04.13)
#    - April 2013 (.04.13)
#13 - Aunt A. (.04.13)
      - May 2013 (feet - .04.13, park - .05.13, crawling - .05.13)
  14 - June 2013 (.06.13)
  15 - Tricks (stairs - .06.13, bath - .06.13, chocolate - .08.13, stewed fruit - .07.13) *about all the silly things he used to do !*
      - Peek-a-boo (.06.13)
  16 - Brothers (.06.13)
      - July 2013 (picnic .07.13)
  17 - Family (.07.13)
  18 - First birthday (.08.13)
      - Summer 2013 (.08.13)
  19 - Dinopark  (.08.13)
  20 - Fall 2013 (.11.13)
  21 - Splash ! (.10.13 - .12.13) *bathtime*

When a layout is done, I add a # before the number of the page. My album have 20 pockets, so it's 40 pages (but some are double pagers).

Sometimes, I change the title when I do the layout, but I often keep it very simple and basic, as you can see !

But sometimes, the journaling is different from the title, for example, when I will make the layout "Fall 2013", it won't be about fall really, but about the silly things and childish infractions that my baby used to do, like touching everything, going in the stairs, and so on.

Usually, my journalings are about something the kids said or did, a story I want to tell... But often I have no photo for that, and in another hand, I have lots of nice photos without story, so I match them : the stories without photos and the photos without stories.  I only care that they are about the same period.
That way, I don't mind anymore if I have nothing interesting to say about fall, or if I have no photo about something I want to tell !

I also keep the date with the title in my list, it's a time saver ! Sometimes, I add a few notes about the photos, because maybe I will not remember which fall photos I want to scrap for kid 1, kid 2 and kid 3...


So, when I have my list of which photos/stories I want to scrap, I go back to my digital photos files and I select and edit them. Then I order them to print (I try to have assorted sizes). And I always order a few ones in black and white for using with a favorite paper that doesn't match anything !

Next, I look at my notebooks, where I used to keep lots of quick notes about the things the kids say or do, and it helps me to write my journalings. I try to write them ahead, because if I don't, I know that I will let my layouts waiting for journaling for a long time (same for dates) !

When I have my photos, I slip them in my albums, in the same order than on my lists, with the journaling (I would like to slip them in multi pockets pages, but I only have post-bounded albums).
I don't mind if I scrap them when I will be retired ! If I have the date and the journaling, it will be easy. That's probably why I don't mind to scrap old photos : I have the journaling ready, and it helps the photos to be still be fresh in my memory.

And recently, I discover a new way to scrap : the "month-in-review" album. Well, it's not new, but THIS way to prepare everything IS new (at least for me) : look HERE, it's all explained.

http://useyourstuff.blogspot.fr/2013/12/a-month-in-review-free-online-class-by.html

So, for my "old" pictures, I decided to do that : a quick album by year (and only one page by month for some years if I have not a lot of photos).

I still have lots of photos that I didn't scrap but would like to. Maybe I didn't think that they were pretty enough, or worthwhile with a story, or because I had to select, this kind of things ! And now, they took another importance : we moved, and I love to see more of our old home, or all these little things about the kids that were not worthwhile when I was living them, but that became important now !  And now I want them in my albums... but I have no time for that !

So, the Month-in-Review album was the solution for me, for these "old" years. I would never have thought that I would like this kind of process : I thought it was only a premade album, but not at all ! It's just that instead of planning your layout, you plan your... album, and actually, I really enjoyed it !

I am also doing this kind of album for this year 2014, because with three kids, I have less time to scrap each of them, so it was a great solution for me. All these photos without their own layout will take place in my yearly album in no time ! And my family will be able to enjoy them even if it's not the best layouts ever (they don't care, anyway, they only care for photos and stories !).

Here is a look at what my 2014 album looks like (I used a Scrapbook Generation sketch and Kesi'art papers) :


Very very simple, indeed...

And last but not least, this is a WONDERFUL and EFFICIENT way to reduce my stash !



And you, what is your process for organizing your photos to scrapbook ?


3 comments:

  1. Wow. You have a very well thought out process. I'm not nearly as organized as you. lol I do have my photos organized and saved my month and my albums are chronological. But that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks for sharing about your photo organization! You are super organized, I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, you have a serious system! Kudos for being so organized! :)

    ReplyDelete